You would by no means guess that the key ingredient of this keto apple crisp is Jicima! It’s candy, tender, and generously topped with a cinnamon spiced crumble.
Are Apples Keto?
Sadly the crunchy and refreshing fruit all of us grew up loving shouldn’t be keto. Per 100 gram serving of apples there are 14 carbs and 12 web carbs. Rather than use a chayote squash or zucchini we determined to convey out the large weapons, jicima. This vegetable has the identical texture as apples, however with out the sweetness. It makes it simple to create a scrumptious and genuine keto apple crisp.
Say goodbye to apple pie and your finest apple dessert. Instead, get pleasure from this scrumptious keto apple dessert crumble that takes lower than 30 minutes to prep and tastes like the true deal. With this scrumptious of a dessert it’s secure to say bye bye Miss American Apple Pie.
FREE PRINTABLE: Keto Food List
Join 150,000 others to get a FREE keto meals record and new recipes each week!
Is Jicima Keto?
Jicima is the proper low carb apple filling substitute. Per 100 grams of jicima there are solely 9 carbs and 5 grams of fiber (four web carbs)(1). An additional benefit to having all that fiber is simply how a lot your intestine will thanks. The good intestine micro organism feeds on fiber which helps to enhance total digestion(2).
Does Jicima Taste Like Apples?
Jicima is crisp and crunchy like apples, that means when cooked the cubes will likely be comfortable and tender. The taste can also be very impartial virtually like an unsweetened apple. It will give the identical look and texture as chopped apples, however taste clever has the flexibility to be candy or savory.
How to Cut & Peel Jicima
Jicima could be a bit tough to chop when you’ve got by no means ready it earlier than. While it might be tempting, don’t use a vegetable peeler. That will likely be extra harmful as a result of jicima typically has further wax from the grocery retailer that makes the peel even thicker. Instead, lower the highest and backside of the jicima to make a flat floor. Then rigorously use a pointy knife on a chopping board to thinly slice the peel off.
To lower the apple portion, rigorously slice the jicima into matchstick shapes after which dice them. Each dice must be a few half to full inch.
How to Sweeten Keto Apple Crisp
As acknowledged above jicima is a crunchy and refreshing vegetable making it the proper apple substitute. However, not like an apple jicima shouldn’t be candy. That is why we use a mix of stevia and erythritol to make the proper candy keto apple crisp. Personally we desire a mix of the 2 sweeteners, as a result of we discover it creates one of the best stability of pure sweetness in keto treats. You can all the time use a special sweetener that you’ve got available in case you desire. Some different keto sweetener choices embrace:
- Allulose– Allulose is a more recent keto pleasant sweetener that’s typically discovered in lots of retailer purchased keto cereals. It has zero web carbs and is totally sugar free. The better part is that fairly than being a sugar alcohol, it’s a pure sweetener.
- Monk Fruit– Monk fruit is one other sweetener extract just like stevia. Monk fruit is all pure and sometimes dearer than stevia, therefore why it’s typically present in a powder bulked by erythritol. If you need plain monk fruit be sure to purchase the zero calorie liquid sweetener, after which sub it for the liquid stevia on this recipe.
- Coconut Sugar– Coconut sugar is NOT keto. However, if you wish to make this low carb apple crisp paleo; coconut sugar would be the option to go.
Whichever sweetener you determine to make use of for this recipe is ok, simply be sure to verify that you’ve got the right ratios! Some extracts are much more concentrated than the granular varieties, and would require measurement modifications.
What Is Xanthan Gum?
Xanthan gum is a keto pleasant gluten free thickener. Unlike cornstarch, xanthan gum works nicely in very small quantities. For the complete recipe you solely want half teaspoon for the apple filling. This will assist to gel up the jicima water in your baking dish and make a extra jammy keto apple crisp. Xanthan gum has simply 1 gram of web carbs per half teaspoon making it the proper cornstarch substitution.
Can I Make Low Carb Apple Crisp Ahead of Time?
Planning to make this recipe for a crowd and need to know if you may make it forward of time? You actually can! There are a couple of methods you’ll be able to go about making this recipe forward of time.
- Make and Store within the Fridge– Rather than pre- baking it, merely put all of the elements collectively and retailer within the fridge till you’re able to bake. We typically do that after we need to prep the dish within the morning after which bake it whereas we’re having dinner. It finishes baking whereas we eat so we are able to go proper to this heat keto apple crisp recipe after dinner.
- Bake and Reheat– If you’d fairly make the recipe a day upfront you too can pre- bake it. Allow it to chill after which retailer within the fridge. When able to eat: Preheat your oven to 350 and bake till the middle is heat and the apple crumble topping is crisp.
The largest takeaway from that is that you do not need to microwave an apple crisp recipe. Reheating low carb apple crisp within the microwave will make a soggy; not so crunchy apple crisp topping.
How to Make Keto Apple Crisp
This keto apple crisp is easy and straightforward to make. The hardest half is simply ready for it to prepare dinner! Get your keto vanilla ice cream and spoons out, as a result of this baking dish is bound to be empty in minutes.
The elements for this apple crisp recipe are damaged into two classes: The apple Crumble and the apple Filling.
For the apple crisp portion you have to a base of almond flour rather than typical white flour. You can even need nuts for crunch, we selected uncooked chopped pecans. For sweetness we used granular erythritol (we’ve used swerve model earlier than too) and liquid stevia, however you too can use different sweeteners like those recommended above. Finally you have to cinnamon, salt, and chilly butter that has been cubed for simple mixing. It must be chilly fairly than melted butter as a result of it can enable the almond flour to chunk up and type these hearty apple crisp clusters.
The “Apple” Base
For the “apple” base you have to chopped jicima (see notes for preparation above), water, and xanthan gum. To taste the bottom we’ll add erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Don’t skip on the lemon juice as a result of it provides a pleasant refreshing distinction to the candy cinnamon -y base.
Making Keto Apple Crisp
This keto apple crisp recipe is the proper mock apple crumble for many who need a fall dessert that matches their keto eating regimen. It’s coconut flour free, doesn’t require any messy melted butter, and tastes even higher topped with a dollop of whipped cream.
To make this keto crumble topping with minimal prep time, start by whisking collectively the almond flour, pecans, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon and salt. Once the topping is whisked collectively add within the butter, vanilla extract, and stevia. Use two knifes or a pastry cutter to include the butter into the dry topping. It must be coarse and crumbly, virtually sand like. Set the topping apart as a result of will probably be used shortly.
The “Apple” Base
To make your keto apple crisp base start by preheating the oven to 400F. Next in a bowl combine collectively the xanthan gum and water. Whisk nicely to insure there are not any clumps of powder. In a separate bigger bowl mix the jicima, erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Toss the jicima within the sweetener and spices, then add the water/ xanthan gum combination and stir nicely.
Add all the jicima right into a 10-inch forged iron skillet or eight×eight baking dish.
Sprinkle the crumble combination evenly on prime. To keep away from burning your keto apple crisp topping, cowl it tightly with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes. After 30 minutes is up, take away the foil and prepare dinner a further 5-10 minutes. It must be effervescent a bit, and the crumble ought to have browned.
Allow to chill 5-10 minutes earlier than serving. Top the apple crisp with sugar free vanilla ice cream.
Storing and Reheating Keto Apple Crisp
To retailer any leftover keto apple crisp recipe, place the remainders in an hermetic container. Make positive it goes within the fridge to keep away from going dangerous. In order to reheat low carb apple crisp you’ll want to warmth the oven to 350F and place all leftovers in a baking dish to re- crisp.
Tips for Making Low Carb Apple Crisp
- Cover if the Crumble is Burning– It’s widespread when making keto desserts which have almond flour or nuts to burn. This is as a result of the crumble topping will typically brown and bake beneath direct warmth sooner than the middle. To keep away from a burnt crisp topping, cowl the forged iron with aluminum foil and permit the middle to prepare dinner the remainder of the best way.
- Don’t Over Bake– Just like all conventional apple crisp you don’t need to over bake the middle. An apple crisp recipe will rapidly go to mush if over baked, and so will our keto jicima crisp recipe.
- Add More Nuts and Seeds– Chopped nuts and seeds add a beautiful further crunch to the apple crumble. Try nuts like walnuts, almonds, and even sunflower seeds for a bit extra crunch.
More Comforting Keto Desserts
Making an apple crisp keto is straightforward as soon as you understand how. Don’t skip out on any extra of your favourite comforting keto desserts. Some of our favorites are:
- Keto Cinnamon Rolls– We love the swerve brown sugar substitute for the within of those cinnamon rolls. They are candy, gooey, and filled with icing.
- Keto Banana Bread– Warm keto banana bread is the proper breakfast or mid day choose me up with a pat of butter. Make a loaf or two and retailer to get pleasure from all week.
- Deep Fried Keto Donuts– The choices are countless for keto donuts. If you’ve tried this recipe you realize it tastes good with something from brown sugar and cinnamon, to peanut butter and jelly!
These are only a few of our favourite keto consolation meals to get pleasure from on a chilly night time or wet day. For much more wholesome keto desserts try the dessert part of our web site.
Keto Apple Crisp
This dessert takes simply over 10 minutes to whip up and 30 minutes to bake. It’s the proper fall dessert with a hefty serving measurement of simply 5 web carbs and fewer than 200 energy. The vitamin data of desserts don’t get significantly better than that! Our keto apple crisp is one of the best of one of the best. It skips conventional apples or mushy zucchini to provide the most genuine apple taste with out the carbs. Try this mock apple crisp and tell us what you assume within the feedback under.
Keto Apple Crisp
A candy cinnamon spiced “apple” crisp baked to perfection. Perfect for topping with keto ice cream!
Calories per serving 172kcal
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 35 minutes
In a big bowl, whisk collectively almond flour, pecans, erythritol, stevia, cinnamon and salt. Next add within the butter chunks, stevia, and vanilla.
Use a pastry cutter or two knives to mix in till the combination resembles coarse crumbs. Set apart.
The “Apple” Base
Preheat oven to 400F. In a small bowl, mix water and xanthan gum, whisking till mixed.
In a separate massive bowl, mix jicama, erythritol, stevia, lemon juice, cinnamon, and nutmeg, tossing to coat. Add water/xanthan combination and stir nicely.
Spread combination in a 10-inch forged iron skillet or eight×eight casserole dish. Sprinkle the crumble combination evenly on prime. Cover tightly with foil and bake 25 to 30 minutes.
Remove foil and prepare dinner a further 5-10 minutes, or till combination is effervescent and crumble is browned.
Keto Apple Crisp
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 126
% Daily Value*
Saturated Fat 4g20%
Trans Fat 1g
Vitamin A 161IUthree%
Vitamin C 18mg22%
* Percent Daily Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie eating regimen.