The different day, I had a loopy longing for some bibimbap, a Korean rice and veggie dish. The downside I bumped into was that I couldn’t appear to discover a industrial gochujang sauce that wasn’t loaded with sugar – and I imply Eight-9g of sugar per tablespoon ranges of sugariness. This clearly was not going to fly, so I scoured the web for do-it-yourself variations. After some trial and error with a number of recipes for a fast gochujang, I arrived at this vegan straightforward do-it-yourself keto gochujang that’s sugar-free, guten-free, soy-free and low-carb.
Is this recipe conventional? Goodness, no. For starters, actual gochujang ferments for months at a time. Secondly, we’re utilizing some completely different elements right here. The finish consequence, although, is a straightforward pepper paste that’s fast to make, a lot decrease in carbohydrates and can be utilized is lots of recipes. Traditional gochuchang recipes name for the next elements:
- Korean sizzling pepper powder, referred to as gochugaru
- barley malt powder
- candy rice flour, additionally referred to as glutinous rice flour
- fermented soy flour
- rice syrup
Plenty of these things are fairly carby and sugar-heavy, so our keto-friendly low carb gochujang in contrast, consists of the next elements:
So, whereas the primary three are fairly comparable…issues get a little bit wild after that. This recipe cheats a number of issues with a view to get that fermented high quality that gochujang has. So, as a substitute of utilizing barley malt powder, rice flour and fermented soy flour…after which additional fermenting that, we’re simply utilizing miso. Miso is mainly fermented bean paste with a number of different elements concerned. Typically, miso is made with soy, koji, salt and generally rice flour. The miso I at all times use is soy-free from an organization referred to as Miso Master, and is the chickpea miso.
The rice wine vinegar additionally performs a task in giving that tangy, pungent fermented taste. Be certain to purchase common rice wine vinegar, and never “seasoned” rice wine vinegar, because the seasoned selection incorporates a TON of sugar!
Instead of rice syrup, we’re utilizing sugar-free “maple” syrup. The model of sugar-free maple syrup I take advantage of is Lakanto. I prefer it as a result of not solely does it really style like maple, however it doesn’t upset my abdomen. You can get 20% off at Lakanto utilizing the code MeatFreeKeto!
Notes on Making Easy Homemade Keto Gochujang (sugar-free, gluten-free, soy-free)
- Use chickpea miso to verify that is soy-free! I just like the one from Miso Master.
- Soy-based miso may also work high-quality right here, and is definitely fewer carbs, so you could possibly use that if carb-content is extra of a priority, and you’ll tolerate soy.
- I ordered the gochujaru (pepper powder) on Amazon, but when that’s not an choice and you’ll’t discover it in shops, cayenne or your most popular chile powder will work as properly.
- Be certain to subtract the grams of sugar alcohol from the entire carbs in addition to the fiber to reach on the internet carbs!
- While I try to supply correct dietary data, completely different elements have differing nutrient profiles, so your calculations might differ.
Easy Homemade Keto Gochujang (gluten-free, soy-free)
This keto variation on Korean gochujang pepper paste is a flavorful and low-carb method so as to add a spicy kick to bibimbap and different dishes.
- 1/four cup (68g) miso (use chickpea miso for a soy-free gochujang)
- 1/four cup (20g) Korean crimson pepper flakes (gochugaru)
- 2-Three tbsp sugar-free syrup, relying on style desire
- 2 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/Three cup (80ml) water
- In a small saucepan on low warmth, whisk collectively all elements. Continue cooking, whisking often, till all the pieces is mixed and the sauce thickens – about 5 minutes.